Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Gnaw Their Tongues - An Epiphanic Vomiting Of Blood


Gnaw Their Tongues - Teeth That Leer Open Like Graves








Gnaw Their Tongues is one of those bands that I read a lot about, heard some clips here and there, but was never able to acquire anything of theirs because everything they release is too damn limited and they have such rabid fans that as soon as something is released, it sells out instantly. Or that's how it seems to me anyway.

When I saw that An Epiphanic Vomiting Of Blood (originally on limited edition vinyl earlier this year) was released on CD in a not-so-limited fashion on Crucial Blast (great label), I snatched it up immediately. And boy was I not disappointed.

Good God is this some heavy shit. Terrifying, crushing, destroying, horror metal. I guess that might be the genre I'd use to describe Gnaw Their Tongues. They reign from the Netherlands and create some of the most fucked up music I've ever heard. Which I guess isn't too surprising considering the name of their band and their new record, not to mention the song titles. There are tracks with names like "My Body Is Not A Vessel, Nor A Temple, It's A Repulsive Pile Of Sickness" or "Sawn Asunder And Left For The Beasts" or even "And There Will Be More Of Your Children Dead Tomorrow." Yikes.

For the most part, this is slow stuff. None of those blast beats found in your traditional black metal (although this is as black as it comes). Chugging, churning, nothing to easily bang your head to. And it's very cinematic. Music that might be played during a torture scene in some horror movie that would never ever get distribution in the US. This music is meant for wallowing in desperation and contemplating, nay, completing suicide.

The second track, "Teeth That Leer Open Like Graves," starts out with what sounds like an interview with a murderer, describing how he killed some family. The interviewer says, "So you put the bag over his head and tied it. And he did not die right away. Can you tell me what happened in regards to Joseph?" And then the convicted goes on to tell his story, after which the music kicks in. And those sort of sound clips are found throughout the record, along with the wretched sounds coming from the singer.

I gotta say, though, as awesome as this music is, it makes me feel a little...dirty. Listening to it. I mean, I'm a pretty happy, easy-going guy. I enjoy life. I'm not all that into death and killing and such. But every so often, I want some fucked up metal, and this is definitely something that I'll put on. But afterwards I probably need to go take a shower and watch My Little Pony or so something.

No comments: