Thursday, August 21, 2008

A Faulty Chromsome - As An Ex-Anorexic's Six Sicks Exit,...


A Faulty Chromosome - Them Pleasures Of The Flesh








Here's a record that's been constantly in rotation ever since I heard about it from Forest Gospel way back in March. How A Faulty Chromosome has side stepped mainstream indie rock stardom is beyond me because As An Ex-Anorexic's Six Sicks Exit,... is top tier stuff. And I figured there's still not enough people talking about them so I might as well help the cause and maybe shed some light on a truly great band.

Ex-Anorexic is their self released debut record and it's full of everything I love. Super fuzzy, lots of layers, hand claps, lo-fi Casio melodies and beats, hook filled choruses and just enough dance-ability. It's very shoegazey but not straight up shoegaze. And in this case, that's a very very good thing. It's just so wonderful when you hear a record and think to yourself, "I couldn't possibly ask for any more in a band." Every time I put Ex-Anorexic on, I get a smile on my face, even if I doing something shitty like washing dishes (true story. And I fucking hate doing the dishes).

I got a chance to see them play here in Boston a few months back at The Middle East Upstairs (the show that no one came to but I reviewed anyway) and it was a great experience. This isn't necessarily the sort of music you need to hear live, but it definitely makes you want to dance even more than when you're in your living room (which is pretty much the complete opposite of every other band for me).

I'm guessing most of you don't have this record yet, which while understandable (due to lack of exposure) it's totally not understandable because everyone needs to hear this. You can download Ex-Anorexic for free at A Faulty Chromosome's MySpace, although they and I highly recommend donating at least a little bit.

Here's a cool video they made for one of my favorites on the album, "Jackie O." It looks like they filmed a bunch of people dancing at a local concert and it works perfectly with the song. I love the lead singer. That guy has the best moves.

No comments: